All our lives we’ve been taught to keep our rooms tidy and clean up after ourselves regularly. But if we don’t, would living in a cluttered space affect our mental health?
Scientifically speaking, yes:
- It affects our ability to focus: According to a report called “Interactions of Top-Down and Bottom-Up Mechanisms in Human Visual Cortex”, living in a cluttered environment influences people to become much more distracted and not be able to process information as efficiently as when they’re living in an organised and serene space.
- It impacts our thinking: Another study published in 2017 by Current Psychology discovered a substantial link between clutter and procrastination among all age groups. Additionally, the older adults in particular experienced a much more significant decrease in satisfaction with life in relation to clutter problems.
- It influences our behaviour: A paper published in Psychological Science in 2013 testing out workers in tidy versus disorganised environments learnt that people in a neat workspace were more keen on being generous in their donations compared to their counterparts who were being put in a disorderly office.
- It can negatively impact mental well-being: By inducing a physiological response, including increased levels of cortisol, a stress hormone. A 2010 research in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found out that the subjects who perceived themselves as having a cluttered home or a home that needed work tended to have increased levels of cortisol throughout the day.
Evidently, messiness has an effect on one’s thinking, behaviour, stress and anxiety level. Therefore, by cleaning and decluttering, people will be more in control of their surroundings to create a comfortable and relaxing space to work, relax and enjoy life.
A few ways to free up your home or office includes:
- Create a decluttering checklist
- Spend 5-10 minutes per day for re-organising or clean one small area at a time
- Opt for a minimalism lifestyle
- Give away the clothes, toys or equipment that you no longer use
- Use storage services such as Cube Self Storage to safely and securely store valuable belongings or items of sentimental value that you don’t have the space to store at home. Contact us today to discuss your requirements.